This week on So, You Want to Read Tolkien, we discuss Chapter One of Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Beginning of Days.
- Melkor and the true meaning of Christmas
- Tulkas and his laughter
- The Lamps go up, the Lamps come down.
- First mention of the Silmarils
- Elves and Humans are coming…some time.
Here is some fabulous art of the Valar and here is a brief description of the ones mentioned in this chapter:
- Melkor – The Dark Enemy, Morgoth
- Manwë – Lord of wind and air, King of the Valar
- Ulmo – Sea King
- Aulë – Master of crafts and earth and all that is underneath
- Oromë – Lord of Forests
- Mandos – Lord of Death and judgement
- Tulkas – Lord of Strenth (and wrestling)
- Varda – Lady of the Stars
- Yavanna – Giver of Fruits
I found the maps in my Atlas of Middle Earth that I used as a reference, they might help: