On this week’s episode of So, You Want to Read Tolkien, Caitlin, Rachel, and Emmy discuss Chapters 12 and 13 of the Silmarillion.
- Manwë – Lord of the Valar
- Ulmo – Valar of the Sea
- Yavanna – Valar of fruits and growing things. The one who made the Trees.
- Mandos – Valar in charge of the Halls of the Dead.
- Morgoth – Big Bad.
- Barahir – The first human mentioned in the book.
- Beren – Son of Barahir.
- Earendil – Briefly mentioned, going to be important later.
- Elwing – See above.
- Elrond – Son of Earendil and Elwing.
- A whole bunch of Noldor. See below for how everyone is related. THEY’RE ONLY HALF COUSINS.
- House of Finwë – For reference, but also spoilers because it goes a couple generations farther than who we’ve met.
- Thingol – King of the sindar living in Doriath behind Melian’s Girdle.
- Melian – Thingol’s wife, a maiar, created the Girdle so evil forces would not be able to find Menegroth, their home in Doriath.
- Gothmog – Lord of Balrogs.
- Glaurung – BABY DRAGON.
- Thorondor – Lord of Eagles.
- Morgoth comes up again.
- Tolkien Gateway
- lotrproject.com <— if you click around a lot you will get a lot of spoilers. I guess that’s true of both links.
Get in touch and join our conversation